I am currently a data scientist at Agoda, a Booking Holdings company, where I’m solving the property mapping problem that matches duplicate properties across different suppliers (such as Airbnb and Booking.com) using both structured and unstructured data such as free texts and images.
From July 2017 to July 2019, I was a machine learning developer at SAP SE. I worked on a product is called SAP Cash Application, which aims at automating the complex accounts receivable processes for the enterprises by matching bank statements with open invoices. More details here.
From January 2013 to May 2017, I was a Ph.D. student in Information Systems at the Singapore Management University (SMU) under the supervision of Prof. Hoong Chuin Lau. My Ph.D. dissertation focuses on a general machine learning framework to solve a diverse set of problems in urban environments, such as law enforcement and urban transportation.
During academic year 2014–15, I was an exchange Ph.D. student at Heinz College, Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) in Pittsburgh under the supervision of Dean Ramayya Krishnan and Prof. Siyuan Liu. In the summer of 2016, I did an internship at IBM Research – Singapore, where I worked on a project that predicts people’s dwell time (a.k.a. “length of stay”) non-intrusively in retail environments using real-time Wi-Fi data. Check out my lists of publications at DBLP and Google Scholars.
Prior to that, I had obtained my bachelor’s and master’s degree from the Nanyang Technological University (NTU) in 2009 and 2012, respectively. I did a winter internship in 2009 at the Hochschule für Technik Rapperswil (HSR) in Switzerland as a software engineer, where I worked on a refactoring plug-in for Eclipse CDT. During 2010-12, I worked for the university as a research staff under Ning Chen.
- May 2020 at SG Travel Cafe: My Ayahuasca Journey. [Slides]
- February 2019 at SG Travel Cafe: Wae Rebo: Spiritual Landscapes. [Blog post] [Slides]
- March 2018 at FOSSASIA 2018: Machine Learning for Smart Cities. [Slides] [Video]
- January 2018 at SG Travel Cafe: Zanzibar: Sun, Sand, Spice (and History). [Blog post] [Slides]
- January 2017 at SG Travel Cafe: Ecuador – The Quilotoa Loop & Montañita “Mosquito Coast”. [Blog post] [Slides]
- April 2016 at Python User Group Singapore: Reinforcement Learning Using Python (with Applications). [Short video] [Long video] [Slides] [Code]
- March 2015 at Heinz College (CMU, Pittsburgh): Introduction to Social Network Analysis. [Slides]
- March 2014 at R User Group (Singapore): Hidden Markov Models & Applications Using R. [Blog post] [Slides] [Code]
- July 2013 at Science Café SG: Brief Introduction to Network Science. [Slides]